Southwest Fire Academy provides candidates with a unique training opportunity for candidates to become trained and qualified to the NFPA 1006 Rope Rescue Highlines and SFA High Directional Standard. This course exceeds the requirements outlined in NFPA 1006 (2021) and NFPA 2500 (2021), as students are taught to:
- Demonstrate safety protocols when working with different configurations of portable anchors;
- Demonstrate proper assembly of portable anchors as a mono-pod (gin pole) and bi-pod (angled A frame) portable anchor, congruent with the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Construct and safely operate high lines and sloping high lines, using several combinations of configurations of the portable anchor;
- Construct back-tie systems, to stabilize the portable anchor during operations; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of advanced principles of force multipliers, as they apply to critical angles in high line rigging and the calculation of critical angles.
The Southwest Fire Academy Rope Rescue courses are delivered by experts in the discipline, who have vast knowledge and extensive life experience in the discipline. This is a unique opportunity to learn from the best. If you are looking for safe, quality training, look no further.
Rope Rescue Technician – NFPA 1006
- Use of SFA Equipment
- Instructor Led Theory
- Instructor Led Practical Skills
All training is conducted safely in accordance with Section 21 Guidance Notes, NFPA Standards for Increased Hazard Exposure Training, and experienced Southwest Fire Academy instructors with a 5:1 student to instructor ratio.
Candidates successful in this program will receive a certificate of completion from Southwest Fire Academy. The OFMEM does not currently administer testing for this course; however, when it is available, students with a certificate of completion will qualify for the testing. Any OFMEM testing must be registered for separately, as this is not included in the SFA course.
What is Included
- Access to SFA PPE and equipment
- SFA custom student manual
- Complete JPR package (SFA retains all original documentation)
- Certificate of qualification
What to Bring
- CSA approved footwear
- Station workwear (long pants recommended)
Please note: if this course is not filled to 75% capacity 7 days before it is scheduled to begin, it may be cancelled. In the event of course cancellation, you will be provided adequate notice and a full refund.
Accommodations may be available upon request for the duration of your program. If you are staying for one or two nights, the flat rate for accommodations is $50 plus taxes. If you are staying for three or more nights, the fee is $100 plus taxes, total. Regardless of how long you are on campus, your fee will not exceed $100 plus taxes. This fee grants you access to your bunk, a communal kitchen, parking, and washroom/shower facilities. Please contact SFA at 705-510-9501 or firstname.lastname@example.org with advanced notice, to reserve your spot.